Competition Type: 4BBB
Start Time: 7:30 AM
Start Type: Two -Tee
Note: If you're a FG member, remember to logon to Golf Genius on the web (not phone) to register for the event!
For non-members hit this link: https://www.golfgenius.com/ggid/langlang30aug/register
A few local golf enthusiasts who were allowed to make 9 hole sand scrapes on private land, formed the Lang Lang Golf Club in 1925. This was the pattern through six different golf links sites, before the present golf course was formed.
Prior to 1925, golf was played at two different places. One was between the old racecourse, the other between Nellie Street and the Lang Lang River.
In 1925 play was on Mr Baker’s property. Fees for members were fifteen shillings and Associates seven shillings and sixpence.
From 1927 to 1932 play was on Gayes’ property on the South Gippsland Highway (now owned by Kester and Joy Kitchen).
Between 1932 and 1935 the Koo Wee Rup Golf Club amalgamated with Lang Lang. Play was on the McRae’s family property and from 1935 to 1940, on the Ridgeway’s family property. The Second World War breakout in 1939 brought about the closure of the Club.
In 1949 the Club was reformed and golf was played on the Dixon’s property on McDonalds Track until October 1960, when the owner disallowed any further use of his land.
In November of the same year, it became known to the Committee that there was a large piece of crown land on the Nyora Highway (now the South Gippsland Highway), which being declared gravel reserve, came under the control of the Korumburra Shire, and late December they granted the Lang Lang Golf Club a Permissive Occupancy over approximately 100 acres, at the rental of fifty pounds per year.
Lang Lang Golf Club had a home at last, and now a course designer was required. By good fortune, George Naismith, a former Australian Open Champion, and his friend Bill Walker, a Golf Professional, offered to do the design without any cost to the Club.
Foundation President, Arthur Stapleton, invited Mr. L.J. Cochrane, M.L.A. to officially open the course, on the 25th May 1963. George Naismith, who was honoured with a life membership, hit the first golf ball on the Par 4, 390 yards first hole.
In 1964 there were 96 Ordinary Members who paid eight pounds four shillings per year membership, and 57 Ordinary Associates whose yearly membership fees were five pounds and two shillings.
Par 70 mens Slope of 124
Ladies 73 Slope 132
Length 5710 Mens 5356 Ladies.
18 holes with green side bunkering No fairway bunkers.